I just want to hit something...


One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, Steel Magnolias, pretty much describes my mood today. In a few hours when the sun comes up, my front yard will be filled with a backhoe and more than a few plumbers. With the water turned off for most of the day, housework will be going on the back burner and the three-ring circus will be my focus.

Wednesday started out bad. Lost my keys somewhere at home. Usually not a big deal, they will turn up except that the last time I had them was Monday and Tuesday was trash day. Again, not a big deal unless your car key cost $200. I am giving myself until Monday to buy a replacement but it makes me nervous. Since Wednesday, I have lost the second key 4 times.

When the mail came Wednesday, my water bill was 4 times what it usually is. Thinking they misread the meter, I asked for a reread. They told us to check for a water leak. We did. They misread the meter by almost a 1000 gallons and we had a water leak. The plumbers came on Thursday and after much hand digging, we went from a $300 repair to an almost $2000 repair. Don't panic, call insurance, pay $500 deductible - get er done. While at karate last night, a claims adjuster called to tell me my yard isn't covered by my homeowners policy. My yard isn't covered by my homeowners policy? When you are buying insurance, this is not a question that readily comes to mind, Is my yard included in this abnormally large quote?

Haven't I repeatedly said/thought and truly believe that, life is unfair. As I drove home from karate, I tried to make sense of the whole thing and realized that there are few places to turn when life throws you a curve like this. Actually, only one place. With my mind unable to shut down, it is tough to get there and tougher to stay. Jesus is a place to go where peace is free and unfair is met with comfort... now if I could only find a sparring outfit and something to hit. Ever the optomist, maybe I will get lucky and the backhoe operator will find my keys...