paper shredder...

I have bought a couple of the $30 dollar paper shredders and after a few times, I always manage to break them trying to shove too much into them. I never thought I would need a shredder but times change and it would appear that some people make their living going thru our trash.

I remember having a conversation with my sister 5 or 6 years ago about not putting outgoing mail in the her mailbox at home. She told me that for years, she had taken hers to the local post office and never sent anything thru the mail at her own home. Even though I couldn't imagine that would ever be a problem here, I started following suit - that was in the days before electronic bill pay so we had to go a few times a month, now it is easier and I am still heeding her advice.

While I may be savvy in the ways of mailbox protection, my shredder ways have not advanced much. Not wanting to spend $150 on the perfect paper shredder, I have a low tech approach that not only works but is quite satisfying. I tear the envelopes in half, then I rip each pile little bitty pieces. I put one pile in one garbage bag and the other in a second garbage bag. My thinking is that if someone did go thru my trash, they would, at first, be happy to find my homemade shreds until they figured out that they only had 1/2 the information they needed for their identity thief project. There is some weird satisfaction in all that for me.

I know what you are thinking, this girl has too much time on her hands and you would be right. Think how much good I could do in world if I took that time and focused in other areas but I don't see that happening. My super-girl gene is just too strong and beating the Bad Man at his own game is so rewarding and fufilling.

Wish I had a shredder for Real Life. I can imagine hundreds of uses. Those days when I feel like nothing is right, or life isn't fair or ohnoherehitcomesagain. I could just shred them away.
It isn't that easy. God didn't make us that way. He made us to depend on Him. It's not about tearing up whatever we don't like or want to hide It is about going thru, not around.
Dang, and the shredder was such a good idea , on paper, anyway ...