second chances...



Life is full of them. We pray for them but don’t always recognize them. We don’t always give then the respect we should. It’s not about deserving them because we really don’t. Walking away with understanding of making it right or learning from our mistakes is the Prize. We are owed nothing more.

I passed this recycled car parts store on the way to get a key made for my car this morning. Every time I see it, I get what they are trying to say. I think it makes all of us slow down, for the moment. Hopefully, the Bigger Picture makes us want to think more carefully about how we live. Don’t know if the people got a second chance or not – doesn’t look possible, does it?

We can do nothing about those second chances that never come. We live our lives the best we can, conscious of our choices and able to forgive ourselves when necessary. First thing this morning, I pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot and this little old lady was going down the isle with her trunk open. I thought she would stop but she didn’t. She had to have seen it – must have looked like it was midnight in her rear view mirror. She kept driving so instead of parking, I chased her down. I pulled around and tried to head her off before she got to the street. I was honking and she finally stopped. I am sure she was nervous so I approached her on the passenger side and with hand gestures, told her I would close her trunk for her. I did and came around on the driver’s side and waved to her. She waved back thankfully and was on her way. She didn’t look like she would make it home – I prayed that she would.

I have been given more than my fair share of second chances and am painfully aware that I still fall short of making the most of them. All I can do is continue to be aware and persevere. Be grateful for those times I get to call do overs and those times I don’t. Be able to live with the consequences and take advantage of getting a second chance, that is way more than I deserve…