forever grateful...



No matter how grateful a person you are, the phenomena of feeling overwhelming thankfulness for your own life when you hear about the pain and sadness of another, is universal. At one time, I thought that if I was more grateful about my own life, I wouldn't feel this way every time I heard someone's Story but now I think it is more like a reflex, like hitting your funny bone or that little triangle-hammer thingie the doctor hits your knee to check for whatever he is checking for. When we hear a Story about the misfortune of another, there is Something in us that immediately takes us inward and we are instantly thankful for our lot in life, even as imperfect as we felt it was a few minutes prior.

Sometimes it is not a event but a season of life. I only had one child and felt overwhelmed during most of that time. Now, with my three darling gkids, I get that same feeling. It is a different world and most of my anxiety is about protecting them but for my girl and all those other mommies who do mommy thing everyday, they are overwhelmed by the sheer work of raising children. In many respects, children have not changed. They have always had mountains of energy, have always fought with their siblings and usually leave a mess wherever they go.

Grab your hanky and prepare to be thankful...