gift certificates...



Two years ago, I donated a photo session and digital page gift certificate to a teen auction at the church. It came in a little fun package with a 12 month time frame for collecting the session. I remember thinking at the time, it was a good thing to put a time frame on the gift certificate because I didn't want someone coming out of left field years later...

So I waited to be contacted...and waited...and waited. I had heard thought the grapevine that my contribution had been merged with a another item so I knew it had been bought but I never heard from whoever bought it...until yesterday.

All the information to contact me had been included, several time - in the package. Email, home and cell phone - every possible way there was 2 years ago to claim their photo session. Yesterday I was contacted by Facebook by the person who bought my certificate. She was not a friend but I guess you can leave someone a note on Facebook without being a friend if it is a private email. This person explained that she had bought the certificate and would be in town this week and could I take pictures for her. I told her no, that I had plans and that was not possible. I told her I wish she had contacted me 2 years ago and we could have taken care of it for her. She acknowledged that the certificate was given to a family member who is not good at following through. I responded that I understood, that we all get busy and to enjoy her Idaho time. Then the response I got back was, Too bad I spent $125. I did not respond back. We were done.

Forget that this person has had over 2 years to contact me and say - Hey, I got yur GC and wondering if we can put it off until Sometime Down The Road? I would have been more than willing to forget the time restraints but to contact me 2 years later, seemed a bit, inappropriate and it made me mad. Over and over in my mind, I tried to take my mad out and finally said, what can I live with? I realized I could live with the the deal as it done. In fact, I am very good with it.

There is a sense of entitlement in our culture. You see in in all generations, young and old. It goes something like this - the rules don't apply to me. You know what - they do if someone makes, even forces you to be accountable. We have allowed people to not take responsiblility in allowing them to continue in doing what they wamt, when they want. With me, not so much.

I am glad this is done.
I always wondered what happened and now I know.
Sometimes, we screw up and it cost us...