protection...



Had a conversation the other day about being over protective with children.
I am.
I will readily admit it.
Don't see it changing soon.

I might argue that we live in a different age and it really isn't over protection anymore, it is now, the new normal. We all wish we could live our front doors open and let in the cool breezes but without a deadbolt on the door, it is just not the safe thing to do. It is not 1960's anymore and if the good guys won't wear capes, it is pretty difficult to tell who is who anymore.

We get it with car seats and bike helmets. Never wore a helmet in my life. There is one hanging in the garage but mainly for show. When we bought bikes last year, DD said, Don't forget to buy helmets - got to set a good example for the kids! Now you see the kids automatically grab their helmets before bikes, scooters or skateboards. It is the new normal.

My new granddog got neutered today. The kids wanted to know what kind of surgery Banjo was going to have. After explaining that it was so he couldn't have any more puppies, they announced, but boys don't have babies. How glad am I that my expertise on where puppies come from, wasn't called upon. Protection comes in all sizes and colors.

And what is the deal with car seats? Dont get me wrong, I am all for them but why is it against the law not to have them on in the car but ok on the school bus. Is it really about the money and if it isn't, why is it safer not to have them?

I suppose if I was honest with myself, I would have them wear body armor along with that helmet everywhere they go. I want to protect them from every dangerous thing I can think of and more importantly, the ones I haven't thought of. I would throw myself in front of a bus to save them and rip into anyone who tried to take them. Bullies, bad teachers or mean kids on the playground - but I also want them to be able to take care of themselves. I want them to do some swing and standing up of their own. It is a fine line to balance both worlds and I will probably never master the balance. Will always be a bit lopsided but I think I can live with that and I just hope that, it will be enough...