the messenger...



The Gaither Vocal Band just released a new CD with some old friends. One of those friends is Micheal English who had been part of the group and then went out on his own. His music was and is still, some of my favorite. There was a out of marriage scandal and he disappeared off the christian radar for a long time. I had heard he was back and when I saw he back with GVB, it brought tears to my eyes.

There but for the grace of God go I...and you. Just like the degree of separation thing, we are all pretty darn close to doing things we never could have imagined doing. It is just more visible when you are in the public eye in any genre but for any religious figure, I think it is a tougher climb back up. Even politicians seem to be on the fast track to a quicker forgiveness level.

The major difference I see between a Micheal English and Micheal Jackson is the Message. Character and honesty are one thing in a person, the Message they bring is something else. Even though Micheal Jackson had a great message in the Man In The Mirror ,there was little resemblance of it in his life. I am rambling but what I am trying to ask is, Does it change the truth of the Message if the messenger falls?

If your preacher, pastor, friend were found today to be caught in unfavorable circumstances, does that mean that the Word they have brought is null and void? I think not although it is difficult to separate the two. God has used imperfect people since the very beginning to spread the Word. He knew that would screw up before they did yet, He prevailed and used them anyway. I have had a hard time separating the two but I think I can truthfully say now, I would not be shattered. I understand the messenger and The Message are two separate things. I hope my God eyes have grown up. I will admit, I was stunned when the whole ME thing went down and he was sincerely, sorry. He retreated and put his life back together. You don't see that much these days. We have witnessed moral issues being covered up when there should have be prosecution. The Church has brought on it sown trouble by not doing the right thing and people lose faith.

The Word is the Word, no matter the shortcomings of the messenger. We each have failed many people in many different ways. It doesn't change the Message. The Message that God loves you and Jesus died for you. It is pretty simple, even else after that is just trying to explain a few simple principals. If imperfect people were good enough for Jesus, they better be good enough for me...