his corner of the world...



Monday, I was privileged to spend some time in Gage's little automobile corner of the world. The third seat is his domain while Morgan and Keaton sit in the middle bucket seats of the van. He was excited about me sitting in back with him and shared his space quite generously. Of course, he has his side and by the picture, you can see he has marked/decorated it with the things that are important to him, Jesus and Cabela's - not necessarily in that order.

He is way ahead of his seven years. He is nothing like the other two. Last Saturday, not able to wait to learn to read sometime in first grade, he spent two hours Saturday afternoon and learned how to read Dr Seuss's, The Cat In The Hat. In less than 2 hours. I know he can read it because while in his little corner of the world, he read the whole book to me, needing very little help. How do you teach yourself to read in 2 hours? Is it strictly desire, which he has in abundance when it comes to reading? It makes me wonder what I could learn in a few hours or even a whole day if I sat down and put my mind to it.

I think the answer is in this fabulous little mobile he has made. You take what is important and keep in uppermost in your mind. Go ahead and live your life but take the essentials with you. Don't wait for Something You Want to come to you, go seek it out. Just start and see what you can learn. You start with baby steps and build on it. Don't worry about the marathon, just learn to walk.

I always learn from Gage, the house that persistence built. He is a pretty no nonsense guy. He looked me staight in the eye as we got in the van and said, I would rather read than play.. That is a some kind of wonderful way to live. Focused, yet tender. Mentally agile, but whose greatest strength is one of his favorite sayings, Good Point.

I wish I were more like him.
Wonder if it is too late?
Imagine the person I could be if I could see the world thru his eyes,
and put it to good use.
Think I will start with,
The Cat In The Hat....