for the Love of God...




“For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Rice then added another post explaining her decision on Thursday:

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”

I don't know much about Anne Rice. I have never read any of her books and didn't even know that she has embraced Christianity. I do, however, understand where she is coming from. Not sure if she what she is leaving is the church or the organization - I'm not sure if I understand the difference between the two.

If you have gone to any church for even a short time, you have undoubtedly had some disagreements with the church. If you have call yourself a christian, you have also more than likely been ashamed of things done in the name of Christ. In both arenas, I have walked away emotionally form both. I understand where Anne Rice's head is.

Speaking of faith, I ran across a little article in the Boise weekly yesterday about a public radio program of the same name. Speaking of Faith has been on the air for 10years and has won a Peabody. The article says the host, Krista Tippets always imagined a radio conversations about the spiritual and intellectual content of faith that could open up imagination and enrich public life. In a interview, she answers questions about how you get those involved who don't like God talk or are unbelievers and atheists, she replies.

... I can have huge discussions about mystery with atheists scientists, who have recently discovered that 70% of everything that's out there is something they are calling "dark energy" because they have no idea what it is. And they use the word mystery with more passion than any religious people I know.
God is a mystery to be lived, not solved. Those who believe that Christ is who He says he is, should be champions of mystery. Embrace those answers will not come this side of heaven and move on to what you can do in the here and now. Christ spoke in parables, he told Stories. He never was a mystery that could be explained if only you prayed hard enough... Anne Rice, where ever your Journey takes you, your faith in Christ goes with you. Traveling mercies, my friend...