like a good neighbor...



I did something today that I have only done once before - met with my insurance agent. That was 20 some years ago. I have issues with insurance and the more I just pay my premiums and don't talk to my agent, the better off we both are. Today was unavoidable. Decisions have to be made and I needed some answers from him.

I understand the need for insurance. What I don't understand is that no matter how property values go down, my homeowners policy has to go up. It has only been this year that I get it about insurance - it is only and I mean only, for disasters. To file a claim is to be avoided at any cost. Your rates will go up and you might even be canceled. Short of a photo of your family with your house on fire in the background because it was struck by lighting, there is little reason to call your agent and ask for help.

What I did learn today is this - the more you have to protect, the more insurance you need. My agent was trying to sell me on more liability coverage in case I do millions of dollars of damage to someone else. If the truth be told, I can't afford enough insurance to protect me against everything that could come my way. He also pointed out that insurance protects your earning potential but he agreed that this close to retirement, that doesn't mean much to us. Let's face it, we don't have a lot to protect.

I have always heard that christianity is God's insurance, fire insurance. The tangible things, He has given us can't be protected or I guarantee you, everyone of us would take out a policy on everyone we love. Insurance doesn't protect the original, all it covers is replacement and we all know, ain't nothing like the Real thing, baby

We tweaked a few things, gambling on a few more and let it go at that. I walked away understanding a bit more of what is important and that fear is a great retail tool ever invented. Don't think I will waste much time tonight worrying about what might happen. I have got a sleepover with a little eight year old and talk about value. We have laughed hard, played every game we could and loved every minute of that. If I could buy a policy that would protect nights like tonight, I would do it in a heartbeat.If there was insurance that would guarantee that I would always have my memories for perfect recall, I would rob a bank to pay the prenium but I know, time is fleeting and as for this very Moment, it gets no better than this...