buzz words...



So mommy goes to the restroom and we have to occupy ourselves for a few minutes. Yes, we could have probably sat there with our hands in our laps , but I had a better idea and they had some of their own when it came to posing. A perfect match for 3 minute investment. Usually, I do mention that we might pick up a refreshment later on and I think we did but mainly, I told them how awesome they were and got big smiles in return. But...make no mistake - the buzz word, "refreshment" was what they heard, loud and clear.

We Big People are not much different. We are attracted to buzz words like bees to honey. We can be listening along, making note of every word being said, and then the buzz word, either positive or negative comes along - and we are no longer able to focus on anything but THAT word. Anything after that is never heard and everything before it, is forgotten. That is why so many celebrity types get themselves in hot water.

Buzz words are also generational. To my FIL's generation, the "n" word was used freely and garnered little attention. It amazes me that people like Isiah Thomas, the black coach who had a harassment suit brought against him would defend himself by saying that black people could use the "n" word but not white people. You don't have to listen to more than a handful of rap songs to see that buzz words are also cultural. There are also religious, political and the ones that affect each of us the most - personal buzz words.

We each have words that put us in a fighting or loving mood in an instant. They trip our triggers and if they are the fighting kind - take us a while to get our emotional equilibrium back. It would probably be best if we lock ourselves in a empty, padded room until we can get some clarity on the whole thing. Not sure we can go to a 12 step program to get over these emotions. They are a part of who we are and where we have been. I can still remember watching my Oma talk about the Holocaust and the look on her face.

For me, when I walk up to my DD door and I hear the kid's voices yelling, nana's here whatever my day has been up to that point, fades away and a big smile comes across my face - and they haven't even opened the door yet.

I have come to an understanding with my fighting buzz words. We both agree they will always be there and we both agree I can react however I choose. They will not stand in my way. They have history and they know it but they also know that I have attitude and am not afraid to use it. Sounds like a fair fight to me...