getting down and dirty...



As I watched this little ditty from Nylon TV, I couldn't help thinking about all the things in my life that I am afraid to get dirty, both physical and emotional. Mostly afraid that I will wear out, use up and NOT BE ABLE TO REPLACE said item. I do find myself thinking most often - I LOVE this shirt, wish I could buy 100 so I never run out. Not the best way to live. I am a Down and Dirty kind of girl - what is it with this strange dichotomy?

The lack of value to a lot of change is the only conclusion I can come to. When change is a good idea to me, like my change of home decor form Heritage Reflections to Pottery Barn, I can't make the change fast enough. However this other kind of change seems to be more personal and less appealing.

It also reminds me how much I love Converse tennis shoes - I am still wearing a pair that I got at a friend's yard sale that belonged to her jr high son who is now is a grown man. There I said it. I have confessed. It is time to throw those shoes away and go buy another pair. Black. I will be accountable to get a pair by the end of January. Then... I must find help to get them dirty, really dirty and then plan on buying another pair next January. Sounds simple but I know that it will be quite a challenge.

While it may seem to be about my craziness, it really is about community. It is about sharing yourself with others. It is about new adventure. It is about change. Already I can hear, What have you gone and done now? I answer back - Getting down and dirty, that's where it's at. Start with tennis shoes and see where it leads. Seems to me, the possibilites are endless. Baby Steps. Sometimes, it's just about Baby Steps...