food...



Spent some time with Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain today. While technically - travel challenged, I can go to any country for 60 minutes while in my pajamas and really, enjoy myself. He mixes travel with food and humor - a combination I can not deny nor do I even attempt to. I look forward to the foods of the particular places he travels but more specific, I love it when he eats with the people of his temporary homestead.

There is something about eating with people that touches a place in me that is hard to explain. Maybe it has to do with all the times that Jesus broke bread with people and the importance He seem to point to. The only thing that could make me happier that food is a constant.

Same time
Same place
Same families
Same menu

There is no greater pleasure for me. We get together once a year to celebrate three families who had no idea what they were doing but said to God. The kids are almost grown up, in fact next year - we will get to play with a new grandbaby. We were missing one of the kids this year - he is in China but we thought about him so in theory, he was there. Of course the sameness is appealing. There are a few of us who love that we know what to expect and that is what we cherish. This is the first year that we didn't talk about the church and how it has grown so much that we are all blown away and I think that is a good thing. The bigness of the church is not what we are celebrating - some of us wish it could be small again. I think we are finally comfortable in just being. For one night, we rekindle our lives together and laugh as much as possible over spaghetti, Ms D's salad, Ms M's rolls and Best Ever Brownies.

Bourdain can continue his world wide travels - the only time I get a little interested is when he is in Mexico, now that I could get my head and tummy around but the rest of it is a polite diversion. Give me spaghetti in January anyday...