storage...



We passed one of those storage units places today and they were advertising a place to keep all those holiday treasures with a 5' by 5' space for only $9.99 a month. Seems a little expensive and not the way one might want to spend the first few weeks of the new year. My garage is already filling up with garage sale items and I dare not clean out anywhere else till it gets closer to garage sale time. The pantry was on the hit list last week and I acquired 2 large bags to store until much later - the plate rack is at the head of my list of places to thin out in a few months, just need to be able to find my list when the time comes.

The philosophy behind the storage unit phenomenon in our cultures seem somewhat fat to me. IN our town, there seems to be a new storage business pop up once a week. when my sister moved here several years ago, we had to go to another town to find a vacant one and almost missed that one. What do we need so badly that we keep off site from our homes and are willing to pay dearly for the service. Looking at my own garage, I see how it can happen but somewhere we must say, enough is enough.

Not unlike our lives that we fill up with everything known to man. Some good and some, not so good. We often feel like we are going to explode and I can't help but think it may have Something to do with carrying around so much stuff that we just don't use but aren't willing to give up. Unlike our personal property, we don't' have to wait for a particular season or reason. Now is as good a time as any to sort through our emotional space and see what we can dump, what we should dump and what that would look like if we did it.

Ideas that no longer make sense because they have been proven wrong to us.
Hurtful memories that no longer run our lives.
New thoughts that are really new to us and fill us with promise.

If I thought that committing to rent a 5' by 5' emotional storage unit for a year, would make my life easier - I would do it tomorrow but holding on isn't the answer. It is a painstaking process that can only be done by ourselves and in our own time. With the cold weather upon us, now seems as good a time as any to sort through and figure out what to keep and what to get rid off. I think I will be surprised at what I find and what I decide to keep and get rid of - I look forward to the Process and then I can decide what to do with that that $9.99 a month I will be saving...