6 miles...


I was close to the freeway when it was time to head for Brandi's. I would much rather take the backroads - prettier scenery and while you can drive faster on the freeway - 80% of the time, going the back way is quicker. As I got on the freeway, there was one of those green signs that said 6 miles to my destination. Ha! I said out loud. 6 miles at 65 miles an hour - do the math. In the morning for several hours, that stretch of freeway is at a virtual stand-still and again at night. In theory, I could get to Brandi's in 10 mins but the reality is is takes 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Last winter, one morning it took an hour and 45 minutes.
Seasons and circumstances can make those 6 miles look like 60. What looks simple - getting from A to B - isn't. There will always be Something in our way. Unexpected road construction, accidents and freak snow storms can change our plans in an instant. We can have our travel time planned down to the very minute but the truth is, we have really no control.
I did my 65 ish down the freeway and when I got off at my exit with about 5 miles to my destination, it took me 15 mins to go those 5 miles. Had to stop for those construction workers who decide who gets to go and for how long. I couldn't merge onto a side street until about the 15th car took mercy and let me in as my merge lane had ended. When I was getting ready to turn on Brandi's street a lady was apparently having car issues and could only putt along thru the intersection. By the time I got to the house, turned my car off, I was exhausted.
To live this life, we have to get adjust to seasons and circumstances. We get exhausted when we are hit from every direction and don't leave room for the Unexpected. I had a Plan for today - when I left the house this morning, I prayed that I would be a blessing to someone - that I get out of my head for just a few brief moments. Somewhere between there and as I headed down those 6 miles, I forgot. It was probably that sign - no flip flops, dang it...