define...


Define
to state
set forth
to explain
identify
to specify
determine
fix boundaries
to make clear
outline
and limit.

My sister and I had this conversation last week. She is a married woman, no children and has always worked. She defines herself by the job she has at - any given moment so her self worth is fluid and fused with her employment reality. I worked over 25 years and hated 95% of it. A job to me was always about a paycheck, my heart was always at home. Even if I had been childless, the hum of the dryer and cooking a fine meal would be my preference. During those working years I defined myself not by either working or non-working but by being a smart-ass. If you met me, I wanted you to walk away with that impression. I could've cared less if you like me or not but if you could see that trait in me, I was happy.

I think the way we define ourselves changes like the Seasons of our lives. While I am a wife, mother and nana - and these roles are my heart, I can't define myself by any of them. I am a scrapbooker, a photographer and a blogger but those hats, while they describe me, also can't define me.

I was a West Wing fanatic - still am. I would always get a chill when someone said, I serve at the pleasure of the President Of The United States. My heart would swell up and I could almost feel myself holding my head up a little higher. The way I define myself these days is simple - I serve at the pleasure of Jesus.

All the places I could define myself would give me a false point of reference. When I have used them in the past, I found myself in trouble. When you have a false point of reference, all your decisions are based on that reference being ultimately perfect and there is nothing perfect but Him.

Don't think I am so smart -I just realized this today but I also understand this has been going on for awhile, I just didn't recognize it. More and more, I see I have no real control, only over myself and I/we/multiple personalites might argue that point very successfully. I serve at the pleasure of Jesus - each and everyday.

That is how I see myself -
state
set forth
explain
identify
specify
determine
fix boundaries
make clear
outline
and limit.
this is how I define myself...