what I do know...


Imagine you are not yet forty, have a 2 year old and just found out you have breast cancer. A week and one day ago you were living your life and in a second, you have a new Journey. Not quite a week after your diagnosis, you learned you would be having surgery in less than 10 days and chemo after that...
I can't get her off my mind - I'm not sure how to help. I have offered to make meals and willing to do whatever I can to help. I don't know what else to do.
Tonight I sent her this email. For all that I don't know, I thought I might share Something with her of which I am positive. It won't explain why and it make not bring any comfort today but I hope Someday it will...
Dear A,

I have no experiences to share with you. I have never been anywhere near where you are now. I do not know anyone who has ever had breast cancer. There is nothing in my arsenal of life’s journeys that can give you advice. No information or statistics I can throw your way to make you feel better, understand where you are or where you going.

Physically, this is your journey. None of us will go through what you will. We are not there with you at night when the fears seem to grow so much faster and seem so much bigger. In a physical sense, this may seem like a long road and that you are all alone. What I can share with you is – whatever you are feeling, you are not alone.

There are so many of us who will walk this way with you. You may never see us or even know all of us but we are there. I can only imagine that God has put you on our hearts all hours of the day so you are always covered in prayer. There may be times when you may see us in person – maybe to bring a meal or take Sam out for ice cream but the majority of the time that we will be with you, you will never see or hear us.

Your world has been turned upside down in the last week. While overwhelming to you, the God who made you is not. Personally, I am going to stand with Him. He knows the Way and I am chasing after Him, with you in tow.

Live in the Moment, my friend. Not because of where you are but because you are here. None of us have any guarantees to tomorrow and to be in the everyday is the only way to live, no matter who you are or what your circumstances. I have held you tight in my heart and will continue to do so….love zalaine