the joy of comfort...


While the kids were hard at play during Keaton's game last night, I was in deep conversation with a hurting friend. One of her best friends has been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Since she works for an oncologist, she know the score.
We talked about her friend, cancer, getting old, husbands, losing weight and her friend, again. While the conversation had a definite sadness to it, I tried to comfort her as best I could and she accepted. That is not always the case with people during tough times. It is much easier to comfort than to accept that comfort. We were obviously in the right place at the right time and I hope she felt my sincere feelings for what she is going thru.
I had woke up that morning, thinking about this disease thing. We give God the glory when someone is cured of a fatal disease but we are quiet if a cure doesn't come. What do you say? Why one and not the other? Why is one spared and the other not? There is no recipe or theory that will answer my questions, I know that. I'm not sure what I am looking for. On the digi boards when something bad happens, we as a community are asked to pray. I have seen cures and casualities.
With the cures come cheers and smiles. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and thank God everything turned out all right. With the casualities, I have seen an outpouring of comfort- the essense of love come from every direction. When the news is devastating, the only thing we have to offer is comfort. When it is our turn to be comforted, we would be wise to accept it. Allow yourself to be comforted - there can be much joy inside of the pain. It may be the only answer we ever get...