brave...




Let me win
but if I cannot win,
Let me be brave in the attempt
...Special Olympics oath

We don't talk much about being brave anymore. Once in a while, we hear sound bites about our service men and woman being brave but not sure it rings true for the rest of us.

I have been deathly afraid of needles for as long as I can remember. Why I was taken to the doctor to have my ears pierces, I will never know. Why I bit him is pretty self explanatory. Not much better at medical procedures and a surgery will bring out my most ugly side. I never found it particularly helpful to tell someone to be brave. You either are or not. The decision is entirely up to you. It has to come from within and the decision made in the brain has to make it the 18 inches ( thank you PJ) to the heart. Or maybe it is the other way around.

Different Seasons of life bring different reasons to be brave.The basic premise stays the same, only the fears change.

Brave, Strong in the face of fear

Synonyms

courageous
resilient
stalwart

Antonyms
cowardly
mean
weak

What I hear is there is a constant and the constant is, always. To be strong, you can't just wake up one morning and decide, This is the Day I am going to be strong. You have to prepare, train and progress toward. The decision to be strong comes long before the strength is needed. Resilence doesn't come when called. Courage doesn't magically appear. You can't run to the store and stock up on bravery the moment you need it. Just like Jello, you have to think ahead and be gracious while you are waiting...